St. Patrick’s was founded in 1956 as a parish day school offering, at first, classes for only six Nursery School students. The addition of the elementary grades began in 1967, and the first Grade 6 class graduated in 1974. In September 2002, St. Patrick’s completed the addition of Grades 7 and 8, and the first Grade 8 class graduated in 2003.
Today, we have evolved into a thriving day school with 470 students on two light-filled academic campuses, the Whitehaven Campus and the MacArthur Campus in Washington D.C. A third, the Foxhall Campus, houses our stadium and regulation-size athletic field. Our facilities include multiple libraries, science labs, art studios, music rooms, a gymnasium and performance center, and expansive outdoor playgrounds.
In September 2017, we opened a 19,000-square-foot middle school for students in Grades 6, 7 and 8. The facility is a mix of instructional spaces targeted at the particular needs of young adolescent learners.
The Day School has benefited from the committed and stable leadership of only three Heads of School in the last 50 years, who have cultivated and maintained the strong tradition of academic excellence within the Episcopal tradition, influenced and contextualized by an ever-changing world.