St. Patrick's is an independent, coeducational, Episcopal parish day school located in the Palisades section of Northwest Washington, D.C., enrolling approximately 470 students from Nursery (age 3) through Grade 8 on two campuses. For more than 60 years, St. Patrick’s has provided a vibrant, challenging, coeducational school environment that balances tradition and innovation in an educational program that emphasizes the acquisition of essential skills, integration of disciplines, and active learning. It seeks to educate young people who will grow in intellectual and academic strength, personal integrity, openness to change, commitment to service, and confidence and ethical involvement in the world. St. Patrick’s students, whose families live throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, go on to a variety of fine schools—including local independent day schools, boarding schools largely in the Middle Atlantic and New England regions, and, less frequently, public schools—upon graduation.
St. Patrick’s has strived for precision and thoughtful integration in its mission-driven language in publications, communications, and website and social media content. We seek an Associate Director of Communication and Marketing who will embrace the opportunity to execute that strategic communications vision for the school while coordinating the day-to-day elements of our communications plan, both internally and externally.
The Associate Director of Communication and Marketing will report to the Director of Communication and Marketing in order to create and implement communications that are consistent with our Mission Statement and responsive to the needs of the Day School and to a range of audiences. The Associate Director of Communication and Marketing also meets regularly with the Office of Enrollment Management and the Advancement Office to establish communication priorities, strategy, and tactics.
Content Creation and Management
The Associate Director of Communication and Marketing is one of the chief storytellers at St. Patrick’s. They share responsibility for the distribution of—and, in many cases, the creation of—content that is delivered to all of our constituents, both internally and externally. As such, the Associate Director of Communication and Marketing is also one of the primary writers, designers, and organizers of Day School publications. They spend time writing and editing content for our website, working on our magazine (St. Patrick’s Press), organizing and publishing our weekly newsletter (HoundsTruth) and biweekly news publication (HoundBytes), and supporting the creation of other publications. They will have experience and skill working with Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), taking photos, shooting and editing video, graphic design support, and managing social media. Lastly, they should have an understanding of database management and CRM tools; managing constituent lists and knowledge of Finalsite is a plus.
In collaboration with the Director of Communication and Marketing, they implement the Day School’s public relations and digital marketing, with specific activities to include:
- shaping and maintaining the strategic and creative direction of the Day School’s outward-facing communications to include the website, social media, advertising and marketing, and media placement;
- updating the website on a regular basis and delegating responsibility to select others in order to keep website content current;
- developing and managing an integrated public presence and brand identity on social media platforms with an emphasis on keeping content fresh; and
- continuing to increase St. Patrick’s online presence and digital marketing in a way that reflects the habits of use of a range of audiences.
The Associate Director of Communication and Marketing is responsible for collaborating with the Director of Communication and Marketing to develop comprehensive strategies for:
- promoting and protecting brand identity;
- supporting internal communications with current parents;
- supporting enrollment and retention of students through internal and external marketing;
- engaging all constituencies including grandparents, alumni, and alumni families;
- collaborating to create a comprehensive communication calendar to ensure coordinated, strategic, and timely distribution of information to parents; and
- researching, writing, and editing a wide variety of content, including informational communications, web stories, feature stories, news stories, biographical sketches, speeches, talking points, and press releases.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
The Associate Director of Communication and Marketing fulfills important duties as part of their position. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- completing other duties and tasks as assigned by the Head of School,
- assuming responsibility for their professional growth in a manner consistent with the criteria listed in the St. Patrick’s Faculty Handbook, and
- becoming familiar with and observing the policies and procedures set forth in the Faculty Handbook, including requirements for participation in community events.
A successful candidate for the position of Associate Director of Communication and Marketing will demonstrate:
- attainment of a bachelor’s degree in an applicable field;
- experience with photography, videography, website content management and design, and social media marketing;
- knowledge of how schools, independent or public, work, preferably with experience in the field of communication;
- the ability to express effectively both verbally and in writing;
- the ability to attend to St. Patrick’s style as well as to established conventions of written language and to proof material from a variety of sources for consistency with that style and those conventions;
- creative and artistic vision and direction;
- strong technology skills;
- experience in desktop publishing design and management of design production;
- strong organizational skills and success as a confident problem-solver;
- a proven track record as an independent and goal-oriented professional with a dedication to meeting deadlines;
- the ability and willingness to work a flexible full-time schedule, including some evenings and weekends; and
- successful completion of the required background check.
Candidates for the position of Associate Director of Communication and Marketing should submit a cover letter, resume, and list of names, emails, and telephone numbers of at least two professional references to Karolina Canning, Director of Communication and Marketing, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Patrick’s Episcopal Day School strives to create a diverse and inclusive learning community of students, faculty and staff, and parents who recognize the infinite value of every individual as a child of God. We are committed to developing character, advancing human understanding, and promoting academic excellence to shape engaged citizens who live with integrity, empathy, and purpose.