Fund-A-Scholar IDEALS Program
Fund-A-Scholar IDEALS, formerly known as the Auction to Benefit the Financial Aid Program, is the St. Patrick’s Episcopal Day School annual fundraising campaign that engages the time, talent and treasure of our community in building a socio-economically diverse student body. IDEALS is an acronym that represents the core tenets of St. Patrick’s mission – Inclusion, Diversity, Excellence, Agency, Learning, and Scholarship
The St. Patrick’s community tuned in on Saturday, March 6, 2021 for the first ever virtual Fund-A-Scholar IDEALS Variety Show and Auction. The Fund-A-Scholar IDEALS Variety Show and Auction: Behind the Mask was everything that Co-Chairs Margret Nedelkoff (Pia ‘26) and Vee Solomon (Wesley ‘20, Christopher ‘22) imagined it could be: A celebration of St. Patrick’s mission and our values of Inclusion, Diversity, Excellence, Agency, and Learning; an opportunity for community members to showcase their talents, or just make us laugh; lively and profitable Silent and Live Auctions; and an inspirational Fund-A-Scholar virtual paddle-raise. Margret and Vee were dauntless in the face of a global pandemic. We, Wolfhounds, have a terrific sense of humor, and our generous hearts are definitely in the right place.
Thank you all for your fabulous support! We are thrilled to announce that the Fund-A-Scholar IDEALS Auction grossed more than $680,000 in total to support socioeconomic diversity at the Day School, including more than $350,000 in Fund-A-Scholar gifts. These resources, in turn, support one in four of our students and help fund educational opportunities that otherwise might be unavailable to these students.
Our deep gratitude goes out to Margret and Vee for their imagination and creativity in developing a virtual event that captured the essence of St. Patrick's, and the talented leaders from across the Day School community that they assembled to help them bring their vision to life. More than 100 volunteers on the IDEALS team contributed their time, talent, and treasure to make this a great COVID-19-safe evening, which did not feel socially distanced at all!
of the Financial Aid budget is raised through our annual Auction to Benefit Financial Aid, supporting a socioeconomically diverse student body.
This year's theme is "Behind the Mask" because even behind our masks we are still St. Patrick’s. We have unusual talents, our pets do tricks, our science experiments fail, we help our neighbors, we contribute to our communities, we fight for justice, we dance and sing and make art. The IDEALS Variety Show & Auction will showcase all that and more.
We hope everyone will contribute a video to be included in this year's Variety Show! The categories for submission include:
- St. Pa-TRICKS: Can you do something no one knows about? An epic belly roll or the old inside-out-eyelids trick? Can your dog dance in a tutu or your parrot speak Spanish? Send us videos of your funniest, cleverest, and most awesome hidden talent or skill.
- St. Patrick's Serves: Have you and your family found a way to serve your community using your skills to tend to others' needs or using your voice to fight for justice and equality? We would love to see your photos and videos of your sandwich making, coat collection, or march signs or any other support you have given to those who needed it.
- St. Patrick's Viral Content: Always wanted to go viral? This could be your chance! Send us your best TikTok remake, or your karaoke rendition of your favorite song, or your family’s remake of a good-old music video. Get creative and show us your moves!
- St. Patrick's Remakes: Classic TV and movie scenes brought to life. Is that famous line stuck in your head? Is family dinner like a scene from Godfather? Dirty Dancing, Ferris Bueller, Caddyshack, or Top Gun? Recreate your favorite silver-screen moment and share it with us.
- St. Patrick's Stars: Calling all virtuosos, first chairs, home run kings, prima ballerinas, hat-trickers, and all other stars of sports, arts, and entertainment! Swing for the fences or swing your épée. Chassé or tap your way into St. Patrick's fame. Sing like Whitney Houston or tickle the ivories like Beethoven. We want to see the brightest stars of St. Patrick's!
- St. Patrick's Families’ Funniest Fails: Admit it . . . we all had some work-from-home and remote-learning fails. It's been a long year, and it's time to laugh at ourselves trying our best—and failing epically sometimes. We hope you caught that Zoom fail on record or you captured your family at not-its-best and will share it with us for some much-needed laughter. There's a light at the end of the tunnel now, so let's remember some of the funny (in hindsight) moments during the tough times we have all shared.
One of the cornerstones of our fundraising has always been the Silent Auction. We are going to have to be especially creative this year in light of the economic hardships faced by many small businesses as a result of the pandemic. We are actively trying to find ways to drive customers to our local businesses, not just relying on those businesses to support our event and fundraising campaign. We are confident that we will have a tremendous range of items, as always, with a special focus on categories that help build us up as a community, showcase our strengths, and allow us to take care of each other.
Do you have an item or service that you would like to donate to this year's Holiday Online or Silent Auction?